Which is better, Western astrology or Vedic astrology? Are you curious whether they are the same or different? Let’s find out together.
JyotishShastra (Vedic astrology) is an ancient Indian philosophical tradition that studies the movement of the planets and stars and how they affect human life. The term “Jyotish” literally means “the science of light” in Sanskrit. In the astrological context, light refers to the light radiation emitted by the stars and the planets top astrologers in Hyderabad
While both Vedic Astrology and Western Astrology have merits and are similar in some ways, the Vedic system is considered more refined. Though both systems similarly interpret planetary movements, Vedic astrology has a much more sophisticated calculation process that yields more nuanced results. Like its sister science Ayurveda, Vedic astrology takes an interdisciplinary approach and thus provides a more well-rounded perspective.
The Connection Between Ayurveda and Vedic Astrology
Jyotish is Ayurveda’s sister science, descended from the same great Vedic knowledge tree. However, there is more than a historical connection between these two sciences; they also share some fundamental concepts. Vedic astrology, like Ayurveda, is based on the belief that the human body is made up of five elements.
So, how does Vedic astrology differ from Western astrology? Let’s take a more detailed look.
Vedic and Western Astrology: What’s the Difference?
- Fundamentally, the principles of Vedic astrology are based on the lunar (Moon) and planetary movements as well as the person’s birth details, such as time, date, and location. In contrast, Western astrology uses the date of birth to predict various life events.
- Though both Vedic and Western astrology systems have 12 zodiac signs, their interpretations of constellation positions differ.
- Vedic astrology appears to be more accurate than Western astrology because it is based on more precise detail-oriented astronomical calculations. It should be noted that planets move in the sky according to the Nirayana system. Vedic astrologers examine the natal chart and the dashas (periods) of different planets transiting through different signs and their real-time influence. In addition, Vedic Astrology is based on the Moon sign rather than the Sun sign. The Sun changes signs once every month, whereas the Moon moves signs once every two and a half days. That’s why predictions based on the Moon are more close and accurate because our moods and circumstances change frequently.
- The Vedic astrology system uses the sidereal zodiac, which calculates planet positions based on where they can be seen in the sky in relation to constellations. The tropical (fixed) zodiac, on the other hand, is used in Western astrology. This system is based on four seasons, which represent the movement of the Sun, equinoxes, solstices, and the tilt of the Earth on its axis.
- Tropical and sidereal signs were in the same place about 2,000 years ago. On the other hand, tropical signs are drifting westward at a rate of one degree every 72 years due to a phenomenon known as the precession of equinoxes. Aries in western astrology is currently 24 degrees away from Aries in Vedic astrology. As a result, the zodiac dates in these two systems differ slightly.
To conclude, Vedic and Western are inextricably linked; a thorough understanding of one complements the other in every way. Some people believe Vedic astrology is a more reliable and accurate prediction method because it is based on natural laws. While both Vedic Astrology and Western Astrology have advantages and overlap to a large degree, many people now prefer to switch back and forth between the two to confirm their findings.
You too can get genuine astrology predictions by consulting top astrologers in Hyderabad. Thanks to modern technology, astrology consultation is just a matter of a few clicks on your mobile phone or laptop. You can connect instantly with famous astrologers in Hyderabad in no time on the reliable online app or web platforms.